Friday, December 9, 2016

dot.com to dot.bomb

I honestly didn't really know what to expect when we started this topic. I came to class and there was about 5 different plastic dinosaurs on the table in the front of the room and knew that somehow they were going to tie into the virtual world. Far fetched right? I thought the same thing!
Well honestly, Professor Fry did an amazing job of explaining the "dinosaurs" of the technology age and tied them in great. When the internet was first invented, if you were to tell the people that were showing interest in it that eventually there was going to be a huge bubble around it that will burst and ruin a lot of lives and companies, they would have called you crazy. But thats exactly what happened. The "dinosaurs" that people thought were too big to fail, did just that. Money was being thrown around in hopes that this new theory of online communications would never have a downfall. New companies were started left and right offering products or services online that had never been able to be a country or worldwide product before. For instance, pets.com was a site that you went to to order supplies for your pets and get information. No one would have expected it to burst in the early moments of the bubble and go away. But it did just that.
Even thought I was born in the 80's and remember the days of early internet with AOL CD's and the 7 minutes it takes to connect online, I don't remember much about the dot.com boom. I do remember having to tell my whole family that they wouldn't be able to talk on the phone for the next hour because I was going to go online to chat with my friends though. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment